Consider a nurse leadership role (choose a role with which you are familiar) and describe how the nurse educator role collaborates with leadership in an institution (choose a setting with which you are familiar).
Nursing leadership represents the ability to inspire, influence, and motivate employees as they work to achieve individual and organizational goals. Nurse leaders maintain rigorous standards of care by making decisions and directing patient care initiatives. One of the nurse leadership roles that I have familiarized with is approval and implementation of evidence-based practices (EBPs) in healthcare institutions. Nurse leaders improve quality and safety and reduce healthcare costs by implementing EBPs in respective institutions.
Nurse educators working in clinical settings assist staff in developing and maintaining competencies to achieve organizational goals. In collaboration with the nurse leaders, nurse educators serve as partners of practice transitions, learning facilitators, and change agents. Nurse educators help organizational leaders to identify the best practices that can be implemented to bring change and improve quality. Additionally, nurse educators collaborate with nurse leaders to educate employees using innovative teaching methods and technology. The nurse educator works closely with the leaders during the implementation of evidence-based practices and proposes solutions to problems that arise.
Considering NLN’s Nurse Educator Competency 8, how do you see leadership skills integrated into your future nurse educator role to shape and implement effective change?
NLN’s competency eight of functioning within the educational environment recognizes the nurse educator’s ability to work outside the classroom environment (Wittman-Price et al., 2013). To effectively assume this role, the nurse educator should possess decision-making, guidance, adaptability, and effective communication skills. For example, effective communication can ensure the nurse educator works with other teas to design and implement changes within the institution. Continuous professional development is another mechanism that can allow nurse educators to maintain an up-to-date skillset and anticipate challenges or any changes ahead (Wittman-Price et al., 2013). Regarding the implementation of effective change, collaboration with academic leadership, politicians, and other members are required. These sets of skills can be crucial in advocating for nursing as a profession and improving various aspects of nursing education.
Wittmann-Price, R. A., Godshall, M., & Wilson, L. (2013). Certified nurse educator (CNE) review manual (2nd ed.). New York, NY: Springer Publishing Company, LLC.
- Please post a brief introduction, including your name and background. Consider including a photo of yourself, but note this not a requirement. Use this forum to help you select group members to work with on the upcoming group assignments
- Choose a country other than the United States and research its health care system. Provide an overview of your selected country’s health care system and ANSWER all the questions below:
- Develop a PowerPoint presentation (a title slide, 6-12 slides, and a reference slide; no larger than 2 MB) that includes the following
- In A 5- To 10-Slide PowerPoint Presentation, Address The Following
- Create a 10–12-slide PowerPoint presentation that communicates a leadership plan to address financial gaps within your organization. Use Kaltura or another technology to narrate and record a 10–15-minute audio presentation.
- Reflect on questions or concerns you might have as you begin the MSN program. · Consider the individuals, teams, and departments you previously considered in Week 1 and how they may provide support to address these questions and concerns
- Select a research article, other than the articles from your assignments, from the GCU library. Provide an overview of the study and describe the strategy that was used to select the sample from the population.
- You will complete Part 1 of a case-study activity that you will continue to address next week. The case study is a true-to-life example of an ethical dilemma related to patient right to refuse care. It will provide you with an opportunity to practice application of selected decision-making models for identification and resolution of dilemma.
- Create a 6–8-slide PowerPoint presentation for a group of school nurses, which addresses the role of the school nurse in managing the unique health concerns of teenagers while adhering to privacy laws.
- Examine the importance of professional associations in nursing. Choose a professional nursing organization that relates to your specialty area, or a specialty area in which you are interested. In a 750-1,000 word paper, provide a detailed overview the organization and its advantages for members. Include the following:
- Assess three families using the “Heritage Assessment Tool.” In 1,000-1,500 words discuss the usefulness of applying a heritage assessment to evaluate the needs of families and develop plans for health maintenance, health protection, and health restoration.
- Types of health needs returning veterans and their families might need. How might you advocate for the needs of this population.
- Family Centered Health Promotion – Health Education, Promotion, and Current Challenges for Family Centered Health Promotion
- What changes in the U.S. health care delivery system would you suggest to actually make it a system in order to address the health needs of veterans and their families, e.g. post-traumatic stress, brain injury, post-deployment depression, and other visible and invisible wounds of war?
- ETHICS:Follow both of the following links and read the brief articles. In the first article: General Motors Misled Grieving Families on a Lethal Flaw, identify the key ethical issues and the accountability issues from an OD point of view. In the second article: As Mary Barra Returns To D.C., Can GM’s Culture Really Change?, describe the challenges ahead of Mary Barra. Families Misled by GM, Mary Barra Returns. In your response, also incorporate how and where mission, vision and values come into play. Respond to two classmates’ posts.
- Week 1: Identify a Population Group at risk, population of interest, and/or vulnerable population in your community
- Family Centered Health Promotion – Culture and Cultural Competency in Health Promotion