Introduction: The Future of Nursing recommends continuous education for nurses to meet the transformation in the health care setting (Altman et al., 2022). The goal is to prepare nurses to meet the needs of their clients, advance research and science, and function as leaders. This paper will discuss the importance of continued nursing education, both at the start of the profession and throughout the career.
Job Options for Bachelor’s Degree in Nursing
Firstly, my degree in nursing allows me to seek and explore careers in informatics and information technology (Herzing, 2022). I can function as a “technology liaison” for the healthcare team while performing other nursing tasks. As a nurse informatics specialist, I can be involved in designing and implementing new technology information to improve patient care and outcomes.
Secondly, with valuable experience in the field, I can become a potential nursing educator (Herzing, 2022). I can work as a clinical instructor or faculty member in a given nursing health institution to mentor future nurses. Also, I can pursue a leadership role after many years of experience, which includes; healthcare manager, nurse manager, nurse administrator, Chief Nursing officer, etc.
With my bachelor’s degree in nursing, I will be able to work for an insurance company. Insurance companies always search for transparency about the health costs and care process to accurately evaluate and set rates correctly (Herzing, 2022). A degree holder Nurse is in a pole position to collect such information and interpret it correctly for the company to work on it. Furthermore, I can consider working in pharmaceuticals. With experience and specialty in certain medical and surgical fields, I can offer my services, such as education, consultation, etc., to pharmaceutical manufacturing companies. Finally, apart from working as a bedside nurse, I can consider other nursing specialties, including travel nurse, flight nurse, home health nurse, school nurse, forensic nurse, etc.
Profession degree that I want to pursue
The Future of Nursing recommends continuous education for nurses to meet the transformation in the health care setting (Altman et al., 2022). The goal is to prepare nurses to meet the needs of their clients, advance research and science, and function as leaders. The IOM report suggests that for nurses to work effectively and collaboratively with other health care providers and professionals, they need to achieve higher levels of education, both during entry and throughout after the enrolment. The report recommends improving the number of nurses with baccalaureate degrees to 80% by 2020, implementing nursing residency programs, doubling the number of nurse staff with doctorate degrees by 2020, and ensuring nurses engage in lifelong learning programs.
As per the IOM report and its recommendations, I would like to pursue a master’s degree in nursing (MSN) two years after completing my bachelor’s degree. A master’s degree provides the holders with more training and skills; hence they can work in different areas within health (Indeed, 2022). Another reason for my decision is to acquire better salaries and compensation benefits associated with a master’s degree. MSN possesses a high level of expertise, specialization, and experience and better compensation than RN and BSN levels.
Secondly, it will advance my career opportunities and job options. With the competency acquired during training, I will be eligible for more roles than other RN, such as nurse practitioner, and teaching opportunities at the university level (Indeed, 2022). Also, it will aid me in securing specialized opportunities, neonatal care, pediatrics care, etc.
My MSN will help me access more leadership positions than BSN and RN graduates. Nurses with advanced education certification are valuable candidates for managerial roles and responsibilities (Indeed, 2022). Finally, I will be able to meet the healthcare demands in the country. Other colleagues as nurse practitioners and I will be able to fill the shortage of clinicians experienced in the country.
Effects of Increasing My Level of Education in Current Job Market and Future of Nursing
Increasing my level of education will place me in a better position to explore advanced career opportunities. I can work as a nurse practitioner or a specialist in various fields of nursing, for example, gerontology, pediatrics, etc. Apart from nursing practice, I will be able to work in other fields like teaching, insurance companies, etc. Also, I will be preferred in managerial and administrative roles because of my skills, experience, and expertise. It can be on hospital premises, state, or country level.
For the future of nursing, I will be prepared to meet the changing needs of the patients, take leadership roles and advance nursing through science and research as per the IOM report. Also, I will be able to work effectively and collaboratively with other health professionals in changing and complex systems.
Relationship of Continuing Nursing Education to Competency, Attitudes, Knowledge, And the ANA Scope and Standards for Practice and Code of Ethics
Continued nursing education help individuals to improve knowledge, skills, attitude, and competency, which results in improved quality of care and patient outcomes (Fukada, 2022). Also, continuing nursing education expands the scope of practice; for example, nurse practitioners can perform physicians’ work of diagnosing and prescribing medication. Additionally, continued nursing education places nurses in better positions for administrative and managerial roles transforming healthcare.
ANA scope stipulates that nurse should preserve integrity, safety, and competence while practicing (Fukada, 2022). So, continuing nurse education provides effective, ethical care by guiding them to treat patients fairly and equally, availing safe and best patient care, and maintaining competency and integrity.
Whether Continuing Nursing Education Should Be Mandatory
Continuing nursing studies should be mandatory. It is because the nurses are dealing with the health of human beings, and therefore, they should be up to date on relevant information in health. Also, nurses must provide quality healthcare to improve patient outcomes, which can be achieved by continued nursing education.
There is a need for more professional and educated nurses in rapidly changing health settings. Therefore, Nurses should continue educating and advancing themselves to compete in the job market. Continuing education and advanced nursing place nurses in pole positions to land more rewarding positions. Finally, advanced education increases the scope of practice for nurses.
Altman, S., Butler, A., Shern, L., Committee for Assessing Progress on Implementing the Recommendations of the Institute of Medicine Report The Future of Nursing: Leading Change, &., Medicine, I., & National Academies of Sciences, a. (2022). Achieving Higher Levels of Education. Ncbi.nlm.nih.gov. Retrieved 17 May 2022, from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK350161/.
Herzing. (2022). 7 Things You Can Do with a Nursing Degree – Besides Nursing. Herzing University. Retrieved 17 May 2022, from https://www.herzing.edu/degree/nursing-besides-nursing.
Indeed. (2022). 20 Benefits of Earning a Master’s Degree in Nursing. Indeed Career Guide. Retrieved 17 May 2022, from https://www.indeed.com/career-advice/career-development/benefits-of-masters-degree-in-nursing.
Fukada, M. (2022). Nursing Competency: Definition, Structure and Development. Retrieved 17 May 2022, from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5871720/.
- Application and implications for practice come from the interpretation of meaning from research findings. Communicating and using research evidence is an expectation of a BSN graduate
- In the graphic novel Maus, how does Art Spiegelman demonstrate “the depth and subtlety that we have come to expect of traditional novels and extended nonfictional texts”
- Read the Case Study 11-2: Go to the Hospital and Come Back with Four More Medications in Chapter 11 of the textbook.
- Link the theory you developed in Weeks 2 and 5 with the Metaparadigm of Nursing. Each of the elements of the Metaparadigm should be represented in your theory. Revise your theory if necessary to include each of the components of the Metaparadigm.
- Cognitive Behavioral Theory Versus Rational Emotive Behavior Theory
- Nursing Theory (Situation-Specific Theory Evaluation Criteria)
- Cognitive Behavioral Theory Versus Rational Emotive Behavioral Theory
- Assignment 1: Cognitive Behavioral Theory Versus Rational Emotive Behavioral Theory
- Cognitive Behavioral Theory Versus Rational Emotive Behavioral Theory
- Watson’s Caring Theory, a grand theory in nursing, is the underlying framework for United States University College of Nursing’s programs.
- Compares scope of practice of newly Registered Nurses to that of Registered Nurses (RN), Enrolled Nurses (EN), Assistants in Nursing (AIN) and other Health Care Worker (HCW) roles.
- The registered professional nurse plays an important role in infection control and prevention.
- Mary, a registered nurse, decided that she wants to become a CNP. She applied and was accepted to the Family Nurse Practitioner program at Chamberlain College of Nursing
- ABC Hospital is a small, privately owned community hospital. It has been struggling to survive financially, as reimbursement rates have declined and consumers are being drawn to the larger state-of-the-art hospital facilities in urban areas that are perceived to have better quality
- Imagine that the nursing executive at the Hospital, hears about your consultant work as a nurse, and he asks you to help him evaluate the hospital’s quality, safety, and costs.
- Role of the Community Health Nurse Obtain a job description for a community health nurse or interview a public health nurse to answer the following questions:
- Analyse the newspaper report of the Sydney grandmother who died following a medication error where an Registered Nurse incorrectly administered medication via intravenous therapy
- Cultural Competence: Registered Professional Nurse Responsibility Paper