Many healthcare professionals have areas of improvement that could affect how they work and deliver services to patients. To me, self-improvement entails setting goals and working towards these goals to improve self and the quality of services offered. Based on self-evaluation to highlight and recollect milestones in my professional development, the area that I will like to improve most is time management.
Effective time management is an important aspect of nursing and nursing management for achieving organizational and personal goals. With the effective use of time, nurses can improve their efficiency and performance by eliminating unnecessary pressures. A growing body of evidence indicates that time management behaviors are of great importance in determining success and obtaining skills by managers (Johnson & Sollecito, 2020). For instance, the prevention of time wastage and having proper control of time can improve managerial abilities, reduce stress, and increase job satisfaction. In nursing care delivery, some duties are easily forgotten because of poor management of time. Such hurries to finish tasks lead to errors and adverse events that reduce quality and hinder patient safety.
Nurses, as the biggest group of healthcare providers, possess the power to improve quality through time management. The Agency for Healthcare Quality and Research (AHRQ) describes time management alongside the other five domains of healthcare quality. It is noted that reducing waits and sometimes harmful delays for both caregivers and care receivers is crucial for achieving quality (AHRQ, 2018). To me, effective time management will be of great importance to ensure I get to have free time outside work. I will like to create adequate time to do personal things because the busy work schedules consume my days. I will like to give myself opportunities to rest and rejuvenate, especially during weekends instead of carrying tasks home.
Managing time can be difficult, especially for nurses trying to handle busy schedules throughout the day. As hard as it is for me to admit, I am a very busy person always looking for perfection. For example, I always want to get things done the right way and it is difficult to delegate tasks because I feel others cannot do them perfectly. My goal for this project is to grow my time management skills by using a time audit tool to ensure I do not carry tasks home within four weeks. Using this tool, I will like to identify small increments that can be better managed to minimize time spent on daily tasks. I will like to track my schedules including the time taken to complete them and identify gaps that can be improved to achieve effective time management.
Many time management strategies always require attention and time to effectively produce good results. The Institute for Healthcare Improvement and Research (IHI) identifies the Plan-Do-Study-Act (PDSA) cycle as a powerful tool for accelerating improvement (IHI, n.d.). I intend to use the PDSA cycle to implement and evaluate my time management skills. The most effective way to measure if time is well-managed is personal satisfaction with the work done. I will keep detailed records of how I spend my time and evaluate the timely completion of tasks. I will know I have achieved my goal when all the daily tasks are completed within the stipulated timeframe. Secondly, I will evaluate the extra time spent at work to complete tasks including weekends and a reduction in the number of hours per week will demonstrate progress.
Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. (2018). Six domains of health care quality. Retrieved from https://www.ahrq.gov/talkingquality/measures/six-domains.html
Institute for Healthcare Improvement. (n.d.). How to improve. Retrieved from
Johnson, J. K., & Sollecito, W. A. (2020). McLaughlin & Kaluzny’s continuous quality improvement in health care (5th ed.). Burlington, MA: Jones and Bartlett.
- Post A Description Of The Interview And Communication Techniques You Would Use With Your Selected Patient. Explain Why You Would Use These Techniques. Identify The Risk Assessment Instrument You Selected, And Justify Why It Would Be Applicable To The Sele
- Review the Congress website provided in the Resources and identify one recent (within the past 5 years) proposed health policy. Review the health policy you identified and reflect on the background and development of this health policy.
- create a clinical guiding question know as a PICOT question. The PICOT question must be relevant to a nursing practice problem. To support your PICOT question, identify six supporting peer-revised research articles, as indicated below
- you will create a clinical guiding question know as a PICOT question. The PICOT question must be relevant to a nursing practice problem. To support your PICOT question, identify six supporting peer-revised research articles, as indicated below.
- Healthcare Environment;Review Of Current Healthcare Issues AND Analysis Of A Pertinent Healthcare Issue
- Considering your role specialization (nurse educator, nurse informatics, nurse administrator, and family or adult-gerontology NP), identify the top three current trends or issues that you believe to be most important
- Specifically define the role of the registered nurse in patient advocacy. Describe situations in which nursing advocacy can assist patients within the healthcare environment. Defend why nurses are, or are not, adequately prepared, in prelicensure education, to act as patient advocates.
- Question on this discussion Does equating status with authority cause confusion? Why or why not?
- Do you think it is important for nurses to be involved in their professional organizations? Why or why not
- After Reading The Kaiser Family Foundation Summary On The Patient Protection And Affordable Care Act, State Why Or Why Not You Believe The Act Should Remain In Law, Or Which Pieces Should Be Reversed. Then Describe Two Pieces Of The Act That You Were Unaw
- Clinical teaching & simulation techniques: Very Important: Be sure to Identify nursing education concepts, material presentation, tools & techniques
- GENERATE A LIST OF QUESTIONS YOU WILL ASK DURING THE INTERVIEW SUCH AS TEACHING STRATEGIES, THEORIES, TECHNOLOGY, AND EVALUATION TECHNIQUES.
- List three important items that belong within a project management plan, and the importance of breaking the project into phases. Please comment on the importance of obtaining sponsorship approval when concluding each phase of the project
- WGU THEMES IN US AND WORLD HISTORY COMPETENCY 117.1 GEOGRAPHY AND THE DEVELOPMENT/ DIFFUSION OF HUMAN SOCIETY COMPETENCY 117.1.2 SOCIAL INTERACTION
- Reflect on an interaction from your clinical experience that involved an older person.
- Critical Article Review: Investigating the Interaction between Schizotypy, Divergent Thinking and Cannabis Use Summary
- Write a 1,050- to 1,400-word strategic objectives summary. Include your balanced scorecard and its impact on all stakeholders, and the communication plan.
- ASSESSING QUALITY AND TECHNIQUES FOR IMPROVING QUALITY AND SAFETY
- Research-Based Techniques And Strategies For Developing Fluency
- Computer Crime Techniques