After reviewing the community general Hospital case study, creating a quality and safety dashboard regarding the outcome of services provided and the process is essential to quality improvement. The hospital presents increased waiting time and readmission. Several quality improvement measures to be incorporated are useful for community General Hospital. The gaps that need improvement by the Community General Hospital include reducing surgical site infections, reducing readmissions and reducing wait times in the emergency department. Quality improvement aim at the structures, processes and outcome of the activities.
Firstly regarding the hospital outlined in the case. One quality measure to aim for a quality improvement plan is timeliness. Timeliness entails that all things are done correctly—timeliness aims to reduce waiting times by patients (Miyake, n.d.). Activities in the hospital should observe timeliness by ensuring processes taking place within the hospital are done at the right time. Ensuring activities or processes are done significantly within the time range will reduce patients’ waiting time. Results should be available for the healthcare workers to distribute a report to the consumers—timeliness cuts across process and structural measures. Having trained and skilled healthcare workers will significantly and ensuring the activities are laid out immediately without indulging in unnecessary delays will help reduce the waiting time.
Procedural communication should be established between the patient and the primary physician; it is essential in reducing readmissions and waiting times by the patients. The communication will determine how frequently the patients will communicate with their primary physician. Having procedural communication between the two parties brings satisfaction to the health care services; hence, patient readmission is assuredly reduced (Johnson & Sollecito, 2020).
The staff-to-patient ratio should be adopted in the dashboard. The number of staff attending to patients will reduce the wait time for patients. For example, four to five primary physicians will ease the workload; hence patients shall be attended to within the shortest time. However, the reduction of surgical site infection is also enhanced by having adequate qualified staff to attend to the patients. The limited staff-to-patient ratio is often exhaustive; hence prone to error is significantly high. Staff-to-patient rate will indicate the ability to conduction of quality patient care. Effective, however, will end to reduce the increased surgical site infection.
The structural measures that the number of patients per room is essential. The more rooms where the physician will seek to see the patient will help the Community Genera Hospital organize the work plan. Patients will be attended to with ease. Each room should accommodate a patient with a physician, enhancing privacy and confidentiality. The average number of patient rooms in use at one time will show how well space is used to treat patients.
The joint commission National patient safety upheld the surgical care improvement project to lower surgical site infection. The commission incorporates evidence-based practices for the prevention of surgical site infection (Joint Commission, 2019). Patient arrival time and the availability of health workers at their stations are the most significant factors contributing to increased waiting time in healthcare centres. Regarding the stipulated measures, it is vital to point out that having a supervisory committee is essential in monitoring and evaluating process and structural activities in the Community General Hospital. The measurement and evaluation of the stipulated measures will reduce patient waiting time, surgical site infection and the number of readmissions. Finally, the healthcare staff will provide care that aims at the quality and well-being of the patient.
Joint Commission. (2019). Performance measurement. Retrieved from https://www.jointcommission.org/performance_measurement.aspx
Miyake, D. (n.d.). Twenty-five healthcare metrics & KPIs are to begin tracking today. Retrieved from https://www.clearpointstrategy.com/25-healthcare-metrics-kpis/
Institute for Healthcare Improvement. (n.d.b). Measures. Retrieved from http://www.ihi.org/resources/Pages/Measures/default.aspx
Johnson, J. K., & Sollecito, W. A. (2020). McLaughlin & Kaluzny’s continuous quality improvement in health care (5th ed.). Burlington, MA: Jones and Bartlett
- Module 09 Written Assignment – Seizures
- Assignment: Module 07 Written Assignment – Interdisciplinary Communication
- Assignment: Module 09 Written Assignment – Differences Between Acute And Chronic Pain Worksheet
- Upload Assignment: Module 11 Written Assignment – Chasing Zero
- Upload Assignment: Module 09 Written Assignment – The Effects Of Aging
- Module 09 Written Assignment – Cultural Factors And Their Influence On Medications
- Module 11 Written Assignment – Chasing Zero
- Module 11 Written Assignment – Nurse E-Portfolio: Final Course Entry
- Module 03 Written Assignment – Supply Chain Management
- Imagine that the nursing executive at the Hospital , hears about your consultant work, and he asks you to help him evaluate the hospital’s evidence-based practice program and recommend an EBP model.
- You are a senior executive at a community hospital that is considering hiring a hospitalist physician. What stakeholders would you include in a stakeholder analysis to evaluate adoption of a hospitalist model of care?
- Honest Tea’s business plan for 1999 (PDF). A strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats (SWOT) analysis based on Honest Teas’ business plan (PDF). Suppose Honest Tea has hired you as a consultant to evaluate the completeness of their strategy for future growth. Base your evaluation on the provided SWOT analysis. Provide a rationale for your response
- Quality and safety in healthcare: What role does nursing plays in the quality and safety of healthcare?
- ABC Hospital is a small, privately owned community hospital. It has been struggling to survive financially, as reimbursement rates have declined and consumers are being drawn to the larger state-of-the-art hospital facilities in urban areas that are perceived to have better quality
- Locate an article on any one of the following: Occupational Health Nurse or Physician, Safety engineer, Industrial Hygienist or Ergonomist. Summarize the article Discuss the role of that individual and how he/she interacts with employees in the work setting. Explain how you see the case manager interacting with that professional? The source of the article must be from a professional journal (AAOHN, National Safety Council, etc.) or website (not the textbook).
- You work at a small community-based hospital as a manager in the quality assurance department. One function of your job is to analyze internal data such as medical records, patient surveys, and incident reports to track trends and help improve patient care delivery.