Good attitudes and values in nursing are the number one qualification required. Nursing is the best choice if you are looking for a career that requires helping, caring, and nurturing. Learning the professional attitudes required in nursing is very important.
In this article, you will learn about different attitudes and core values of nursing. You will come across the attitudes and values a professional nurse should have. By reading this article, you understand why you need quality values and attitudes in nursing and why it is important to have these values when providing medical care or dealing with a patient.
What are attitudes and values in nursing
Nursing is a broad field of study and mainly deals with providing healthcare to the patient. All nurses have unique values, attitudes, and behaviors that are very necessary. This blog provides professional values and their importance in nursing.
Professional nursing values form a basis for good behaviors and values in the nursing discipline. These attitudes and values in nursing are essential and help you as a nurse in making vital decisions in healthcare. As a nursing student, you must show specific values and attitudes to help you carry out the significant nursing role of caring for patients.
What are the 5 essential nursing values?
The following are the five core values of nursing. They include:
- Social justice
- Human dignity
What are the 10 nursing ethical values?
Before looking at ethical nursing values, it is crucial to understand the difference between ethical values and values in nursing. Moral values offer a structure for nursing behavior evaluation, while nursing values direct nurses’ objectives and actions. The following are ten nursing ethical values; they include:
- Human dignity
- Professional competency
Quality attitudes of a nurse
If you are passionate about becoming a nurse. You need to understand what kind of attitude a nurse need? This will help you learn a different type of attitude when you need to as a nursing practitioner; they include the following:
- A good speaker
Good communication skills are one of the essential qualities of a nurse. You must communicate clearly and positively to your co-workers and patients as a nurse. You must be able to take guidance and instructions from your supervisor, especially during an intense situation
Effective communication with the patient and their families helps meet their needs and provide a patient with quality medical care. Receiving information is very important for every nurse. You must be able to read the treatment charts and understand the treatment plan to minimize thorough instructions.
As a nurse, you must have extensive knowledge to provide quality care for patients. You need to have quality skills that you can apply in healthcare theories. To become a certified nurse, you must have a degree through a nursing program that will impart knowledge and give you quality nursing practice.
Every nurse should bring an optimistic attitude to their work. Nursing is emotionally challenging sometimes. Successful nurses know how to remain calm and positive in every situation. A reassuring nurse can act as a leader to inspire optimism and give a positive attitude to co-workers.
As a nurse, you must pay close attention or focus on detail. When keeping medical records and developing care plans, you must be careful to avoid making errors. A successful nurse is very keen on detail and completes work on time.
Empathy needs you to be emotionally stable. You must ensure that you do not get angry with patients or co-workers, no matter how hectic your shift is. Nursing is an emotionally demanding discipline that brings a positive atmosphere and reduces sadness.
Effects of nursing attitudes on nursing practice
Understanding attitudes and their effects on nursing practice is essential. Attitude is necessary for nursing. It helps you understand how people figure out issues and processes in care to determine what care plan will be appropriate. You must realize the right nursing attitudes to provide person-centered medical care as a nurse.
This blog helps you examine your attitudes, beliefs, and values. You will discover the functions of perspectives and learn how they are developed and can be reflected in changing attitudes. This helps you to revisit your behaviors that are less effective in nursing.
Benefits of nursing attitudes
A positive attitude in nursing is more vital than in other disciplines. As a healthcare provider, you need to be critical in helping your patient feel comfortable and speed the recovery. You must understand that the patients rely on you to make them feel safe during the scary point of their lives.
Showing compassion and devotion changes the patient’s attitude toward their illness. A good attitude impacts your patient and your work performance as a nurse. A positive attitude helps you overcome the daily pressure in your workplace and allows you to devise a creative solution for a particular issue.
A good attitude helps increase productivity, even when assigned a less-interest task. As a nurse, having a positive attitude helps to handle stress and become more creative during a problematic situation. A good attitude is one of the characteristics that the nursing department looks for when considering nursing employees’ promotions.
How to stay positive in your nursing practice
Nursing is a broad discipline that deals with serious illnesses; therefore, it is a career for courageous individuals. As a nurse practitioner, you play a significant role every day, providing life-saving care and leaving your patients with the hope of better health. With the high pressure and performance in nursing, there are some side effects, such as; constant stress and anxiety, which are unwanted.
Unchecked stress and anxiety in nursing practice can lead to serious health problems and decrease job satisfaction. The following remedies will help you manage stress and stay positive in your nursing career. If you are asking, “what are nursing values in nursing?” The following are tips on how you can demonstrate a positive attitude in nursing; they include:
- Try to be careful and conscious in your daily nursing practice
- Avoid associating with people who have a negative mindset
- Dwell on people and the appreciation they give to you
- Your needs should be a priority
- Always take time to meditate
Importance of professional values in nursing
The following are importance of professional values from nursing students. They include:
- Professional nursing values help to reflect your confidence
- Working with professional values in nursing indicates a dedication to the nursing profession, which will help you boost your career to a higher level
- Professional nursing values help strengthen interprofessional relationships
- Professional nursing values improve patient satisfaction
- A nurse with solid professional values are known to be trustworthy and genuine
- Nursing professional values help nurses grow and develop professionally and help them build a solid foundation
- Professional nursing values, when practiced daily, provide a guide for clinical judgment and decision-making in the patient’s needs for quality nursing care
Types of professional nursing values and attitudes
- Human relationships
- Effective communication
- Professional and individual competent
- Precision and accuracy
- Sense of obligation
- Human dignity
Professional nursing values and attitudes provide a common understanding of the nursing practice. They also offer openness to patients and the members of the community.
Reasons why nurses should understand their values
Nursing is the promotion of health and the prevention of diseases and any injuries through diagnosis and treatment. In the report provided by the international council of nurses, there are positive effects of the professional values of nurses on their attitudes. Nursing involves collaborative care of patients of all ages, families, ethnic groups, and communities to ensure that all individuals have healthy life.
As a nurse, you are prepared and authorized to engage in the general expectations of nursing practice. Professional values in nursing allow all certified nurses to get the legacy of caring for individuals; this helps strengthen the future nursing workforce. Ethics, attitudes, and values are highly related in the nursing profession; this enables nurses to balance the patient’s morality in those of nursing or the medical care profession.
All nurses need to understand their values and attitudes to practice them in their daily life. Personal nursing values are internalized from where you live; therefore, it is important to have societal value to feel accepted; your nursing values helps you have a sense of independence. Nursing professional values are mainly acquired from nursing schools and during nursing practice in hospitals.
Benefits of personal values in nursing
As a nurse, you often handle emergency situations requiring you to make quick decisions and unique skills. Therefore, having values is a number one need in nursing; nursing values provide a behavior framework and help influence essential choices. Below are some benefits of personal values in nursing; they include:
- Promotes teamwork among nursing team
- Allows nurses to t work effectively together through shared beliefs
- It ensures that the provision of quality nursing care is maintained in the future
- Help to continue upholding high standards of care
In this blog, we have discussed attitudes and values in nursing. We aim to provide nursing students with the necessary knowledge and help them in their professional nursing growth. This article enables you to understand quality nursing values and helps you find ways of applying the importance to practice, which is crucial.
- Developing a Health Advocacy Campaign for Childhood Obesity
- Developing a health advocacy campaign STDs among teenagers Custom Essay
- Developing Health Advocacy Campaign
- Application Assignment 2: Part 2 – Developing an Advocacy Campaign
- HCS 535 Week Six Individual Health Campaign Part III HCS 535 Week 6 Individual Health Campaign – Part III
- Health Advocacy Campaign
- Childhood obesity – health issue & national health priority
- Health care policy: childhood obesity Custom Essay
- Deliverable 3 – Evaluating A Company’s Culture For Diversity
- Deliverable 4 – Evaluating A Company’s Culture For Diversity
- Deliverable 6 – Create A Presentation On Healthcare Innovation Strategies, Technology Improvement, Quality, And Cost In The 21st-Century
- Create a 5–7 slide presentation (with detailed speaker’s notes) on how you would select, foster collaboration among, and educate a team dedicated to solving a diversity issue.
- Deliverable 3 – Create A WBS For A Project
- Deliverable 1 – Memo To Executive Staff
- Deliverable 1 – Report To CEO
- Deliverable 2 – Identify Overall Scope And Analyze Unexpected Events